About the Institute
The Institute of Certified Secretaries (ICS) is a Professional Membership Association that was established by an Act of Parliament, the Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya, Cap. 534 of the Laws of Kenya, in 1988.
ICS is dedicated to the promotion, growth, development and regulation of the governance and corporate secretarial profession in Kenya.
ICS is a member of the Association of Professional Societies in East Africa (APSEA) Corporate Secretaries International Association (CSIA), the global umbrella body for corporate secretaries and governance professionals.
The members of the Institute, currently standing at more than four thousand (4,000), are competent in matters of governance, corporate secretarial practice, compliance, management and administration.
In fulfillment of this mandate, ICS has over the years partnered with other stakeholders in development of governance documents, capacity building, and advisory services in the area of governance including:
- Code of Governance for State Corporations “Mwongozo” (on behalf of State Corporations Advisory Committee and Public Service Commission)
- Champions of Governance (COG) Award
- Code of Corporate Governance for Issuers of Security to the Public
- The Code of Governance for Private Organizations in Kenya
- CSIA Corporate Secretaries Tool Kit
- The Governance Framework for Certified Public Secretaries working at the County Governments
- Governance Standards and Guidelines
- Governance Training Manuals
- Governance Research, Trainings and Consultancies
- YouTube channel “The Weekly Governance Voice (WGV)”- a show hosted by the Institute, and streamed live every Friday between 7:30 am and 8.00 am. The WGV show hosts various personalities who play various roles in the governance space.
- Governance Journal- a peer reviewed journal focused on emerging issues in the field of governance.
The Institute is governed by a Council comprising of eleven (11) members, out of whom ten (10) are elected by members and one (1) appointed by the Cabinet Secretary for Finance pursuant to the CPS Act. The Council is led by the Chairman who is also elected by members. The Council operates through Committees established to handle various activities touching on the CS profession.
ICS Council Members 2021/2022
The Secretariat, led by the CEO, is responsible for the day to day operations of the Institute. The current members of the Secretariat are:
Training and consultancies
ICS is renowned in Kenya as the premier provider for governance training and consultancy services for public, private and non for profit organisations. Among its key focus areas include:
- Board Induction;
- Board papers;
- Minutes Writing;
- Governance Audit;
- Board Evaluation;
- Risk Governance;
- Codes of Governance;
- Leadership and Communication;
- Corporate compliance and administration; and
- Strategic Planning and Business Advisory;
The Institute draws its consultants and trainers from its Secretariat, Council and general membership.